KairosPDX is a non-profit organization focused on delivering excellent, equitable education to underserved children, their families and their communities. Through innovative pedagogy, community collaboration and family partnership we are closing Portland’s persistent achievement and opportunity gaps in measurable and sustainable ways. Our mission is to eliminate the prolific racial achievement and opportunity gaps by cultivating, confident, creative, compassionate, leaders. We do this through an organizational approach that includes: KairosPDX Learning Academy, Family Connections Programming, KairosPDX Training Academy, and Local and Legislative Policy. Please visit www.kairospdx.org.
Working at KairosPDX
KairosPDX is currently seeking candidates for a full-time, year-round Senior Coordinator, Communications position starting Summer2021. Persons of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
KairosPDX launched our flagship program, our Learning Academy, a public charter school sponsored by Portland Public Schools, located on N. Gantenbein Avenue in Portland in 2014. Our educational model is inquiry-based. Our curriculum approach is a culturally-responsive, workshop model that infuses mindfulness, restorative practice, studio art, STEM, music and fitness in our teaching. Small class sizes and year-round schooling are two of our distinguishing elements.
The Senior Coordinator of Communications will have overall responsibility and coordination over all communication actions. This position will develop broad communications strategies across various and emerging media, implementing and developing campaigns to reach and engage stakeholders,and be the key resource person performing a range of specialized and administrative duties. The Senior Coordinator of Communications will lead our communications and marketing efforts and help raise KairosPDX’s visibility and profile in terms of our results, outcomes and impact. In charge of increasing a company's visibility by managing the brand image and the design of marketing materials.
Share responsibility with a team of colleagues and parents to honor the mission:
- to eliminate the prolific racial achievement and opportunity gaps by cultivating confident, creative and compassionate leaders;
- Practice the values of KairosPDX in professional conduct and daily interactions:
- respect, responsibility, honesty, excellence and service to community
- Incorporate the beliefs of KairosPDX in all approaches and instruction
- Every child is uniquely capable, innately curious and inherently creative,
- Character and agency are essential to achievement and are developed through relationship and service to others,
- A multi- cultural context delivers a strong sense of self and is a requirement for participation in our global society,
- Children must be supported in the context of their families;
- Support multicultural practice and inquiry based approaches that are:
- Actively anti-racist – confronting bias in all of its forms,
- Education for social justice – acknowledging history and studying the present to make informed decisions regarding a more equitable future,
- Pervasive – Examining practices in all levels of school culture and organization,
- Personal –Beginning with the necessary consideration of self as a cultural being,
- Critical Pedagogy – Pursuing multiple perspectives, anticipating contradictions and challenging assumptions,
- Empowering – Providing children the ego strength to challenge racist societal views,
- Helping children think deeply about themselves and others.
- Devise and lead the implementation of KairosPDX’s overarching communication plan and strategy addressing both organizational (internal and external) and programmatic communications, including identifying key audiences, messages and suitable communication channels.
- Monitor and maintain KairosPDX’s social media and online presence, including content creation and curation.
- Actively seek out and identify impact stories and ensure these are well documented and effectively communicated.
- Write and publish content for both print and Web including the website, blog, brochures, and newsletter.
- Make sure that all promotional and marketing materials meet KairosPDX’s brand identity strategy.
- Identify and resolve any issues with promotional content in a timely and professional manner.
- Monitor, Assess and report on the effectiveness of communication campaigns and strategies.
- Stay up to date on industry trends and make recommendations for adjustments to communications strategies and practices.
- Coordinate meetings, press conferences, presentations campaigns and other promotional events to help keep the organization top of mind.
- Serve as point of contact for media inquires and public questions, maintaining relationships with journalists and other members of the press
- Perform outreach to press outlets, magazines, influencers and build strategic partnerships to grow brand notoriety
- Identify budget, staff resources and any other needs to implement communication plans and activities related to campaigns, events
- Recommend techniques to improve KairosPDX’s public image.
- Assist with other external and internal communications duties as needed
- Ensure quality, relevance and timeliness of KairosPDX’s communication products and services
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Attend several KairosPDX staff and family events
- Participate in continuous improvement practices including observations, reflections and collaborations
- Participation in professional development; and
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience;
- Minimum five years of experience working in a communications or marketing role in a school, nonprofit, or community setting, Seven + years experience preferred;
- Proven work experience in communication or similar role;
- An analytical mind and ability to think critically;
- Exceptional writing and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Familiar with software such as canva, adobe, microsoft and capable of creating visually compelling presentations;
- Knowledge of email marketing software such as MailChimp or a similar program;
- Proven knowledge of communications and marketing ethics and best practices;
- Proficient public speaking abilities are an asset.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Plan daily work effectively and complete this work on time with minimum supervision;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills;
- Deadline driven, with the ability to multi-task to help KairosPDX achieve its goals;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-pace environment;
- Ability to exercise careful judgment, diplomacy and tact;
- Ability to be flexible and efficient within challenging situations;
- Effective interpersonal skills interacting with diverse groups of stakeholders;
- Availability on some evenings and weekends required;
- Proficient in Microsoft suite, Google platforms and social media;
- Willingness to learn about and adapt to KairosPDX culture;
- Commitment to culturally relevant practices;
- Commitment to professional reflection and ongoing collaboration;
- Current Food Handlers Card and CPR/First Aid Certificate required (cost paid by applicant);
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen;
- Share KairosPDX’s stance that excellent public education is a civil right of all children and families;
- Experience working with diverse populations, specifically people of color; and
- Passion for KairosPDX’s mission.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary: Dependent on qualifications
- Benefits include: Up to three weeks of school closure breaks, paid sick/personal leave days, paid holidays, participation in Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), employer contribution for health insurance, professional development opportunities