KairosPDX is a non-profit organization focused on delivering excellent, equitable education to underserved children, their families and their communities. Through innovative pedagogy, community collaboration and family partnership we are closing Portland’s persistent achievement and opportunity gaps in measurable and sustainable ways. Our mission is to eliminate the prolific racial achievement and opportunity gaps by cultivating, confident, creative, compassionate, leaders. We do this through an organizational approach that includes: KairosPDX Learning Academy, Family Connections Programming, KairosPDX Training Academy, and Local and Legislative Policy. Please visit www.kairospdx.org.
Working at KairosPDX
KairosPDX Training Academy is currently seeking candidates for a full-time, year-round Senior Coordinator - Training Academy position starting Summer 2021. Persons of color and members of other underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
KairosPDX launched our flagship program, our Learning Academy, a public charter school sponsored by Portland Public Schools, located on N. Gantenbein Avenue in Portland in 2014. Our educational model is inquiry-based. Our curriculum approach is a culturally-responsive, workshop model that infuses mindfulness, restorative practice, studio art, STEM, music and fitness in our teaching. Small class sizes and year-round schooling are two of our distinguishing elements.
KairosPDX launched our Training Academy in 2021. KairosPDX Training Academy is focused on training current leaders across multiple sectors on how to lead in an equity movement that is grounded in transformational change and rooted in a framework of belonging and the neuroscience of love. We provide training and professional development around rehumanization practices and protocols for administrators, educators, early childhood professionals, organizations, and businesses the tools to do the work in equity that KairosPDX puts into practice daily. Through the KairosPDX Training Academy we empower our colleagues and community members to take the tools into their own spaces in hopes of catalyzing a larger movement and awareness of transformative education.
Kairos is Greek for a special moment in time and we believe we are creating this time and space for children and families, making KairosPDX a very special place to work. We are committed to the core values of Respect, Responsibility, Excellence, Honesty, and Service. We value data, reflection, feedback and continuous improvement as we work together on behalf of our children and families. We are collaborative, creative and passionate about being voices for change in our city. We believe that attacking systemic racism is foundational to our work and that considering our own identity, biases and experiences is a necessary step toward igniting change. Our expectation is that staff at KairosPDX are invested in our mission and participate in creating structures, developing school culture and communicating our work to families and the larger community. Staff work together to support the whole child – academically, socially, emotionally and culturally, using published curriculum, current research and children’s own interests to build their curriculums. KairosPDX values data, reflection, feedback and continuous improvement as we work together on behalf of our children and families.
The Senior Coordinator, Training Academy (TA) is responsible for the day-to-day planning, development, and maintenance of Academy Training programs. The position works both independently and with senior management and content collaborators to ensure that programs are relevant and timely, are effectively marketed in our leadership community, and are delivered on schedules that meet the needs of working professionals.
During the next year, the Sr. Coordinator TA position will be focused on building and implementing our new program content with the Training Academy Leadership Team, in addition to establishing and documenting Training Academy processes and procedures. The position will finalize our Academy website and program delivery technology with IT, develop relationships with external training contractors, and coordinate day-to-day production activity with videographers. As the Academy grows and requires additional support staff, the Sr. Coordinator TA will be responsible for supervising those positions in order to maintain regular and ongoing operations.
Share responsibility with a team of colleagues and parents to honor the missionl:
- to eliminate the prolific racial achievement and opportunity gaps by cultivating confident, creative and compassionate leaders;
- Practice the values of KairosPDX in professional conduct and daily interactions:
- respect, responsibility, honesty, excellence and service to community
- Incorporate the beliefs of KairosPDX in all approaches and instruction
- Every child is uniquely capable, innately curious and inherently creative,
- Character and agency are essential to achievement and are developed through relationship and service to others,
- A multi- cultural context delivers a strong sense of self and is a requirement for participation in our global society,
- Children must be supported in the context of their families;
- Support multicultural practice and inquiry based approaches that are:
- Actively anti-racist – confronting bias in all of its forms,
- Education for social justice – acknowledging history and studying the present to make informed decisions regarding a more equitable future,
- Pervasive – Examining practices in all levels of school culture and organization,
- Personal –Beginning with the necessary consideration of self as a cultural being,
- Critical Pedagogy – Pursuing multiple perspectives, anticipating contradictions and challenging assumptions,
- Empowering – Providing children the ego strength to challenge racist societal views,
- Helping children think deeply about themselves and others.
- Coordinate internal systems and process for External Trainings including:
- Develop and maintain External training master schedule
- Support relationship with entities interested in KairosPDX Training Academy
- Support and maintain relationship with External Contractors
- Coordinate, manage and update all aspects of webinar, website, video and training platform relevant to Training Academy including:
- Front-End planning, building, designing of training platform
- Develop all webpage content
- Maintain database and email
- Helpdesk support
- Website updates
- Monitoring and reporting external training and membership
- Coordinate logistics of training opportunities both virtual and onsite including:
- Facilitation of positive participant experience
- Tracking registration and payment
- Preparation of materials
- Venue / Technology
- Surveys & Course Assessments
- Coordinate with facilitators and external contractors to create and finalize project deliverables
- Coordinate and track projects and information in multiple databases to meet all deliverables and deadlines
- Support Leadership team to facilitate intellectual property protection related to training materials
- Maintain accurate research for External Trainings
- Support marketing, recruitment and messaging regarding training offerings
- Administer and manage yearly evaluation and feedback process for external training and contractors
- Analyze data on satisfaction and effectiveness of trainings
- Coordinate compliance with grant requirement related to External Trainings
- Collaborate with Grants Staff to curate, propose and complete grants related Training Academy
- Collect and provide all data needs related to grants supporting Training Academy
- Develop procedure to manage intake process for new membership and training offerings
- Ensure the tracking of membership thru training platform and by supporting all KairosPDX internal databases
- Support membership database, registering, communication, paperwork and trainings for Training platform
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Attend several KairosPDX staff and family events
- Participate in continuous improvement practices including observations, reflections and collaborations
- Participation in professional development; and
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience;
- Minimum five years of experience working in school, nonprofit, or community setting, Seven + years experience preferred;
- Proven work experience as an administrative coordinator or similar role;
- Experience with education delivery to adult learners, continuing education or customer service preferred;
Knowledge & Skills:
- Plan daily work effectively and complete this work on time with minimum supervision;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills;
- Deadline driven, with the ability to multi-task to help KairosPDX achieve its goals;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-pace environment;
- Ability to exercise careful judgment, diplomacy and tact;
- Ability to be flexible and efficient within challenging situations;
- Effective interpersonal skills interacting with diverse groups of stakeholders;
- Availability on some evenings and weekends required;
- Proficient in Microsoft suite, Google platforms and social media;
- Willingness to learn about and adapt to KairosPDX culture;
- Commitment to culturally relevant practices;
- Commitment to professional reflection and ongoing collaboration;
- Current Food Handlers Card and CPR/First Aid Certificate required (cost paid by applicant);
- Ability to pass a criminal background check and drug screen;
- Share KairosPDX’s stance that excellent public education is a civil right of all children and families;
- Experience working with diverse populations, specifically people of color; and
- Passion for KairosPDX’s mission.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary: Dependent on qualifications
- Benefits include: Up to three weeks of school closure breaks, paid sick/personal leave days, paid holidays, participation in Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), employer contribution for health insurance, professional development opportunities